Bike to Work Day is just around the corner – so come JOYRIDE with us! The Denver Regional Council of Governments (DRCOG) annual Bike to Work Day event is Wednesday, June 28 and encourages people to bike to work instead of driving. It’s a great way to get some exercise, reduce traffic congestion and improve air quality. The City of Edgewater is excited to host a bike station in the morning, so be sure to roll by 25th Avenue and Sheridan for a coffee and breakfast pick-me-up! We will be collaborating with Joyride Brewing for an afternoon station! Check out what will be going on at the stations at www.EdgewaterCO.gov/Events.
Why should you bike to work?
• It’s good for your health. Biking is a great way to get exercise. It can help improve mental health, reduce your risk of heart disease and improve your overall fitness.
• It’s good for the environment. Biking doesn’t produce any emissions, so it’s a great way to reduce your carbon footprint.
• It’s good for your wallet. Biking to work saves you money on gas and parking.
• It’s good for your community. Biking helps to reduce traffic congestion and improve air quality.
If you’re thinking about biking to work, here are a few tips:
• Plan your route. Before you start biking to work, take some time to plan your route. This will help you avoid busy roads and find the most direct route to your destination. Plan your Bike to Work Day route at www.BikeToWorkDay.CO or check out the app Komoot for a customizable route.
• Dress appropriately. When you’re biking to work, it’s important to dress appropriately for the weather. If it’s cold, make sure to wear layers. If it’s hot, make sure to wear light, breathable clothing.
• Be safe. When you’re biking to work, it’s important to be safe. Obey all traffic laws and wear a helmet.
In addition to the benefits listed above, biking to work can also be a lot of fun! It’s a great way to start your day off with some exercise and fresh air. You can also take advantage of benefits from local businesses who give discounts for those who bike to their establishments (like Edgewater Inn and their Edge Bike Club)!
So what are you waiting for? Register for Bike to Work Day today at www.BikeToWorkDay.CO – see you on Wednesday, June 28!
Kalah Hardt is the City of Edgewater’s Communications & Events Director.