Community

Community

A Holiday Letter From Santa, And More!

Dear children of Wheat Ridge, I am coming to visit your town for a special holiday celebration! I will arrive from the North Pole to Wheat Ridge Cyclery at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 3. I am a very busy man this time of year, so I will do my best to see as many

Read More »
Community

One Year On, Wadsworth Project Is 30% Done

In the year since the Wadsworth Improvement Project began in Wheat Ridge, surrounding neighborhood streets have not been crowded by vehicles avoiding construction delays, and the project is on schedule and budget. In an interview and emails, city spokeswoman Amanda Harrison said the $62 million project between 35th Avenue and Interstate 70 and the Clear

Read More »
Community

West Metro Fire Rescue Awarded International Reaccreditation

West Metro Fire Rescue has received Accredited Agency status with the Commission on Fire Accreditation International (CFAI), an honor held by just 301 fire service agencies around the world. West Metro has held accredited agency status since 2012. This reaccreditation marks the third time that the commission has evaluated West Metro, focusing on the level

Read More »
Community

Winter Driving Preparedness For Vehicles & Operators

In Colorado, late summers often abruptly change to winter on a dime. As we’ve seen countless times, the news stations spotlight the first snowstorms, and the toll that it takes on unprepared commuters and their vehicles. We asked Gary Bryan, owner of Wheat Ridge Auto Service since 1980, what critical winter vehicle checkups should be

Read More »
Community

Eat Like a Local This Holiday Season

The holiday season is upon us, and it’s time to start thinking about what we will serve at our holiday gatherings. For many of us, that means heading to the supermarket and picking up the same old things you get every year. But why not shake things up a bit and buy locally sourced foods?

Read More »
Community

Bar Stool Bingo: Give Where You Live

Join us at Clancy’s Irish Pub, located at 7000 W. 38th Ave., Wheat Ridge, on Tuesday, Dec. 6, from 6 to 8 p.m., for a special Colorado Gives Day event. Localworks will be hosting Bar Stool Bingo! Come down to Clancy’s to join in on the fun and give where you live. Your first drink

Read More »
Community

The Best Slopper’s Here, Not In Pueblo

The best Slopper in Colorado can be found in Wheat Ridge, not Pueblo. I may have just started a feud with the people of Pueblo with the title of this article, but I can say with certainty that the best Slopper in Colorado can be found at El Aguascalientes Mexican Restaurant in Wheat Ridge. First,

Read More »
Community

Gardeners Share Their Backyard Bounty

Did you know that there’s a national Sneak Some Zucchini Into Your Neighbor’s Porch Day? It’s the ultimate dump and run. Many gardeners are trying to get rid of the massive number of zucchinis growing in their garden this time of year, and every neighbor has had enough. And even though the national holiday was

Read More »
Community

Wheat Ridge Restoring Its Systems, Says No To Ransom Demand

The City of Wheat Ridge provided the Neighborhood Gazette the following statement on the recent “ransomware” incident. The City of Wheat Ridge is still in the process of restoring its systems after IT Professionals proactively took down aspects of the network in response to a cyber security incident in late August.  Immediately following the incident,

Read More »
Community

Localworks’ Trunk-Or-Treat Is More Than Trick-Or-Treating

On Oct. 22, Localworks will be hosting this year’s Trunk-or-Treat. The event will last from 4 to 6 p.m. at The Green (7101 W. 38th Ave.). At this event you can expect children trick-or-treating, a photobooth activity and vouchers for a variety of free items from participating businesses.   Registration is still open, but spots are

Read More »
Community

E-Bike Batteries Pose Fire & Safety Hazards

E-bikes and scooters are widely seen as a mode of personal transportation with many benefits, a way to reduce urban traffic that is more affordable and “greener” for the environment. But with the growing popularity, we’re seeing an increase in the number of accidental fires across the country.  Under certain conditions, the rechargeable and lithium-ion

Read More »
Community

Localworks Participates In The 53rd Annual Carnation Festival

On the Weekend of Aug. 12, Localworks participated in Wheat Ridge’s own Carnation Festival, one of the longest running festivals in Colorado. To celebrate the festival’s namesake, Localworks hosted a paper flower crafting activity at their booth.  Festival attendees of all ages worked together to roll paper blanks to create over 100 flowers to adorn

Read More »
Community

Petition Drive Aims To Overturn Council’s ADU Decision

An effort to overturn Wheat Ridge City Council’s recent approval of accessory dwelling units was said to be on schedule, according to a resident leading a petition drive. The city defines an accessory dwelling unit (ADU) as a smaller, independent residential building on the same property as a detached single-unit home. ADUs are converted portions

Read More »
Community

Protecting Your Pets: Have A Plan

An estimated 360,000 residential house fires occur in the U.S. every year, claiming the lives of nearly 40,000 beloved pets. And 1,000 of those fires are unintentionally started by the pets themselves. Prevention is an important part of fire safety, and so is having an escape plan to keep your family and your pet(s) safe

Read More »
Community

Wheat Ridge Acts To Restrict Race-Based Covenants

Wheat Ridge City Council wants to see race-based covenants on private and public property – already illegal and unenforceable – restricted even further. Former council member Zachary Urban initially raised the question of these covenants and how the city council could address their removal. Incorporated in 1969, Wheat Ridge included subdivisions platted in Jefferson County

Read More »
Community

Regulating Short Term Rentals, One Year Later

Remember back in February of ‘21, when Wheat Ridge City Council adopted an ordinance allowing and but regulating short-term rentals, aka STRs? That went into effect the following May with licensing, and enforcement and lodging tax collection began that August. One year later, it’s time to ask what worked, what didn’t, and what’s next.  In

Read More »
Community

Paige Piper, Local Works’ Executive Director

Only a few weeks ago Paige Piper became, in her words, “…the biggest cheerleader of the Localworks organization. One of the reasons that I love non-profit work is because I get to do a little bit of everything.” She began her work at Localworks as the new Executive Director on June 6.  Localworks is a

Read More »
Community

Localworks Is Buzzing In The Community This Summer

Localworks is buzzing in the community this summer. Here’s what we’ve been up to: Coffee and Community! Livin’ Local is back and better than ever in Wheat Ridge. On Thursday, July 14, over 25 community members gathered in Stylus & Crate to learn about the origin, tradition and art of coffee. Tadd Overstreet, the owner

Read More »
Community

Four New Officers Join Wheat Ridge Police

The Wheat Ridge Police Department is proud to introduce its four newest officers: DeNoto, Bennett, Pochocki and Iyo. They all come from different parts of the country, bringing their unique life experience to the Wheat Ridge community. Officer DeNoto is a transplant from the East Coast who came to the Front Range as a child

Read More »
Community

Meet This Year’s Carnation Festival Royalty

Every summer, the Wheat Ridge Carnation Festival chooses a royal court of three to honor those in the community who have made a positive contribution through their participation or service in the city. Courtly duties include riding in the parade on Saturday morning, festival award presentations Saturday afternoon, and wearing a sash with personal pizzazz,

Read More »
Community

Family Tree Receives Five Kids’ Bikes From The Ridge Senior Living 

Five new bikes, helmets and locks are now in the hands of children being supported by Family Tree, a Wheat Ridge-based organization that provides life-changing services to end child abuse, domestic violence and homelessness. The bikes were built by residents and team members at The Ridge Pinehurst senior living community in Lakewood as a part

Read More »
Community

Helping Victims And Survivors Deal With Trauma

Victims and survivors of crimes, disasters and mass shootings usually do not know where to turn for help. So law enforcement agencies in Wheat Ridge and seven other Jefferson County communities ask Victim Outreach Inc., or VOI, to lend a hand. Cynthia “Cin” Chapman worked for the Porchlight Family Justice Center in Lakewood before accepting

Read More »
Community

Localworks Summer Program Updates

Localworks is bringing Wheat Ridge a summer full of fun programs, ranging from fitness to clean-up days to makerspace activities. Fitness On The Green With the partnership of Wild and Precious Optimal Living, Localworks is excited to launch the first Fitness on the Green event of the summer! Happening once a month, these free events

Read More »
Community

Interview With The Mayors

The Neighborhood Gazette is distributed to every door in Wheat Ridge, Edgewater and Mountain View. I invited the mayors of these cities to meet me for a conversation at Stylus and Crate, the Gazette’s official coffee house. When I emailed them, I thought it would take some time before I heard back. I was wrong.

Read More »
Scroll to Top