By Conrad Bui
Spoiler alert: you already know, on some level, most of what I am about to tell you. When it comes to the “secrets of health,” there aren’t many secrets anymore. In fact, passing along health information is a multi-billion-dollar enterprise that you can’t ignore even if you try.
So why should you read this article? Because we all need reminders about the things we already know! In our fast-paced world, it is all too easy to forget the basics, so here they are:
1. Drink plenty of water. Staying hydrated, especially in a dry climate like Colorado, is imperative. Getting sufficient water intake helps your energy level, makes your skin look younger, and even helps with your spinal health!
2. Eat the right foods. Load up on those dark green veggies! Eating a healthy and balanced diet that is rich in raw vegetables strengthens your immune system during cold and flu season and has been shown to help prevent a large variety of different illnesses and diseases.
3. Get outside. A dose of fresh air and sunlight can do wonders for your mental state. Even a brisk walk around the block can help, especially in the winter months. Of course you want to take precautions against sun damage, but getting your daily dose of vitamin D has more benefits than I could possibly name.
4. Since we’re talking about walking around the block, this is a good time to mention exercise. From toddlers to grandparents, we all need to move more. It only takes a few minutes a day to establish habits that can offset the dangers involved in prolonged sitting. If you are a desk worker, make sure that you are taking mini breaks throughout your workday to stretch your neck, shoulders and back. Also, do a few squats with coworkers as you stand around the water cooler- your body will thank you!
5. Don’t forget your mental health. The chronic stress we all deal with takes a large toll on our bodies. Find a way to cope with it by doing yoga, meditation, or whatever relaxes you. Learning what eases your mental burden is one step towards a happier, healthier life. Also, pursue additional learning – whether you take a class or read a book, keeping your mind active is just as important as keeping your body active.
6. Get enough sleep. Most adults need at least eight hours of sleep per night, but get less than seven. This creates a state of fatigue and confusion that leads to problems, both physically and mentally.
7. See a chiropractor. Your nervous system controls every function of your body, treat it well! You only get one spine, and a chiropractor can help you avoid discomfort, pain, even nerve damage.
Dr. Conrad Bui is with Aim High Chiropractic, 7200 W. 44th Ave., Wheat Ridge; call 303-423-1925 for a free consultation. AIM now offers Laser Lipo – Fat loss treatment.