Who: My name is Joe DeMott and I want to be your next Wheat Ridge Mayor. I am a Wheat Ridge native and graduate of Wheat Ridge High School, class of 1990. My family has been serving this community at one of our restaurants, Pietra’s Pizzeria, here in Wheat Ridge since 1964.
Public Office: Much of my experience comes from serving on Wheat Ridge City Council from 2009-2013.
Volunteer: My volunteer experience includes
• Carnation Festival Chair 2014-present
• President Wheat Ridge Business District
• Chair-elect, Wheat Ridge Chamber of Commerce
• Wheat Ridge Housing Authority 2009-2013
Most Important Issues:
• I aspire to represent you in a professional and articulate manner and chair friendly and productive Council business meetings. I will continue to advocate for strong public safety to reinforce the teamwork between our nationally recognized first responders.
• I will help guide realistic economic development by empowering citizens through a board led process that can get results and save hundreds of thousands of dollars.
• There is a disconnect between our citizens and necessary departments within the city. I will demand accountability of our building department by opening communications and easing some of the fears for our citizens.
I will listen and advocate for our citizens on transportation issues such as 38th Ave and demand Council make tough decisions without the expense of outside consultants. I will work for a compromise that works for all citizens.
I respectfully ask for your vote for Mayor and promise to always represent Wheat Ridge neighborhoods and businesses with the utmost respect.
William (Bud) Starker
Who: Bud Starker. Mayor. Carpenter, superintendent, construction company owner. Moved to WR in 1975. Built & own West 29th Restaurant & Bar. Married (Mary). 2 grown sons. Enjoy skiing, gardening, family.
Public Office: Public Member, Colorado State Board for Architects, Engineers & Professional Land Surveyors 2004-2012; WR Building Code Advisory Board 2009-2011; WR City Council 2011-2015.
Volunteer: Wheat Ridge Business Association, Board of Directors, Treasurer 2015-present; West 29th Marketplace Assoc., founding member, 2014-present; JCBL 2015-present; Jeffco Food Policy Council 2014-2016.
Most Important Issues:
• Safe and secure neighborhoods – quality of life we enjoy & ability of our citizens, children to seniors, to enjoy the full fruits of our community life together. Safe: increase Neighborhood Watch; promote police-community communications & cooperation; safe street strategies (sidewalks, speed, lighting, crosswalks, drainage). Secure: promote community events; senior housing options; new family neighborhood integration; multi-generational interaction.
• Build new opportunities for economic growth & financial stability – encourage thoughtful development that strengthens our economic base. Promote matching-grant business façade improvements; foster interactions between existing business landowners and potential new redevelopment partners; engage new and existing job creators on local economic possibilities; strengthen ties between educational institutions and job opportunities.
• Conserve the small-town feel and quality of life we enjoy – be smart and diligent with the new development that is coming. Build projects that have the correct scale, design characteristics and quality that reflects our rural roots and maintains our small-town character. I will use my lifelong experience as a hands-on builder to maximize the value we receive for the public infrastructure dollars we spend and encourage private development to be sensitive to our history.